If you’re interning in New York or really any big city, this post is for you! I put together this packing list with my experience from last summer in mind and made sure I didn’t forget anything. If you have any questions feel free to email me. Best of luck to everyone interning and if you’re planning to be in New York reach out so we can grab coffee!
- Tennis shoes: I cannot stress this enough… bring at least 2 pairs.
- Sandals: Tan, Black, Metallic (gold, silver or both)
- Heels: Black (work appropriate), Nude, Fun option
- Wedges: Mid-heel height and high
Wear To Work:
- Dresses: Last summer I brought 15 dresses with me.
- Skirts: Black, blue, white, patterned
- Silk Blouses: My go-to is Equipment and I brought close to 20 silk tops with me last summer. To find Equipment on sale visit The Outnet or Saks Off Fifth.
- Denim: White (skinny and flare), light wash, dark wash, ripped, flare and black
- Button Downs: Head to J.Crew and stock up on their linen button downs.
- Jean Shorts: Two to three pairs is ideal.
- Easy skirts: Madewell and Free People always have good options…
- Cotton Tanks: It can get pretty hot in July so come prepared with breezy tanks. I’m bringing this, this and this.
- Dressy Shorts: Bring leather and silk shorts for rooftop bars or nice dinners.
- Tees: Graphic tees, solid short sleeves (J.Crew has great options) and lightweight long sleeves.
- Lightweight Jackets: Jean jacket and army jacket.
- Swimsuits: Just in case of a quick trip to the Hampton’s or Sheep’s Meadow.
- Sunglasses: Two pairs.
- Workout Clothes: Tanks and shorts.
- Lounge Clothes: Sweatshirt, comfy tees, Nike shorts, etc.
- Jewelry: Bring the basics and items that you can dress up or down.
- Handbags: One tote, one clutch, one black bag and one colored.
Things you wouldn’t think of…
Hangers, Shower Caddy, Compact Iron and Steamer, Jewelry Case, Robe, Dirty Clothes Bag, Rain Jacket, Tote for groceries, Water Bottle, Journal, Pens, Portable Phone Charger, Hat, Shoe Caddy, Tide To-Go Pens, Slippers